Today, we live in an increasingly mobile world. And nowhere is this more apparent than at work. Mobile devices have entered our personal and professional spaces and have become an almost ubiquitous addition to our workday and workplace.
In keeping with this trend, Cisco Systems commissioned Forrester Research to conduct a study for them in 2012, regarding the role of mobility in the workplace. This study focused on organisations in Europe and North America, but increasingly, independent research shows that these trends encompass the Asia-Pacific region as well.
1) Workers are increasingly mobile: A majority of enterprises are focused on supporting employees who use devices such as smartphones and tablets. They support these employees to do their work at the office, at home, and while travelling. In fact, 64% of firms in Europe and North America identify providing more mobility support for employees as a top priority.
2) Many enterprises are expanding the range of connected mobile devices: Between 42% and 47% of firms are expanding the breadth or depth or connected device support for employees. This includes supporting more handheld devices, smartphones, and tablets that may run on new types of mobile device operating systems. Many firms are also concerned with improving mobile security for these devices.
3) Firms are focusing on corporate mobility strategy and policy development: The survey results show that 31% to 33% of companies are developing and implementing corporate mobility strategies and policies. They are also investing their time and resources into documenting their corporate mobility strategies and policies for employees, partners, suppliers, and customers.
4) Enterprises are also supporting more mobile applications: Between 28% and 31% of firms are supporting more mobile applications for employees. These mobile apps include applications for employees who travel and work outside the office, as well as for employees who work inside the office. An example of an inside-the-office mobile applications are mobile expenses and time sheets, which admin assistants can access while they are away from their desks.
5) Video and photo application deployment activities are gaining momentum: More than half (52%) of organisations surveyed have implemented or are implementing applications enabling employees to watch videos on mobile devices. Around 47% of firms are implementing or expanding the deployment of apps that will enable employees to take work-related photos or videos.
The study also talks about other trends, ranging from the use of tablets to analyse analytics to accessing email, calendar, and intranet or employee portal sites on mobile devices while on the go. The study also found that seamlessly incorporating mobility in the workplace increases customer satisfaction and results in faster customer issue resolution.
So, if you are an enterprise planning to support, introduce, and focus on mobility in your office, this is the best time to start. Here’s to a seamless, happy, and productive mobile experience!
For more information on how to introduce, connect, and use mobile devices in your workplace, contact Actis at 022-30808080 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Content and images courtesy: www.cisco.com)